Wholewheat Penne with Courgette Ribbons, Red Peppers and Pine Nuts
This recipe says everything about the Italian summer – red peppers, courgettes, pine nuts and it's so light. It is a very quick dish to prepare and tastes as good as it sounds
- 200ml white wine
- 2 red peppers, cut into fine strips (julienne)
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 50ml Roma Passata
- ½ tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp Roma Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 courgette, ribboned using a vegetable peeler
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 80g pine nuts, toasted
- 120ml cream
- 300g Roma Wholewheat Penne
- 5 basil leaves optional
- Toast the pine nut in a dry frying pan ensuring they do not burn.
- Sauté the shallots in a little olive oil for 4–5 minutes until softened. Add the peppers and garlic and sauté for 3–4 minutes. Add the wine, followed by the tomato passata and sugar, and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add the courgette ribbons and cream. Simmer for 1 minute and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the pasta as per the instructions on the packet and drain. Retain some of the cooking liquid as you may require 2 or 3 tbsp for the sauce if you feel that it is too thick.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and plate. Sprinkle over the toasted pine nuts and shredded basil. Serve immediately.
View other recipes by