Lasagne is one of those dishes that whilst delicious in its own right, is often adjusted to suit individual tastes. For example, I like to add sautéed mushrooms and / or spinach for some additional flavour. Seafood or simple salmon lasagne is also very tasty. When I have a little more time on my hands, I like to make lasagne with fresh pasta. For details, see Triangoli recipe.
For the white (béchamel) sauce
- 900ml milk
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ onion
- Pinch nutmeg, freshly grated
- 60g flour
- 60g butter
For the ragù
- 2 celery sticks, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp Roma Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Roma Tomato Puree
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 700g minced beef
- 250ml red wine or beef stock
- 250ml beef stock
- 600g Roma Chopped tomatoes
- 8 - 9 Roma Organic Lasagne sheets
- 125g mozzarella, sliced
- 20g parmesan grated
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / Gas 4.
- To prepare the ragù, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté the celery, carrots and onions for 10 minutes until soft. Add the rosemary, garlic and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the beef and brown, pour over the wine and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and tomato puree. Season with salt and pepper, and simmer for about 35 - 45minutes. Add additional stock/seasoning as required.
- To prepare the sauce, place the milk, bay leaf, onion and nutmeg in a saucepan and gently bring to the boil. Remove the onion and bay leaf using slotted spoon and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and whisk well to form a roux. Allow this to cook gently for 1-2 minutes.
- While the pan is over a gentle heat, pour a little of the milk into the roux and keep whisking so that all the milk is absorbed. Continue to add more milk until a thick consistency is formed. (Just strain if you have lumps!) Season further as required.
- To assemble the lasagne, butter a 30cm x 20cm lasagne dish,
- Grease a 30cm x 20cm lasagne dish and spoon a third of the béchamel sauce into the bottom of the dish. Layer with some lasagne sheets, followed by a third of the ragù sauce. Layer a few more lasagne sheets, slices of mozzarella cheese and white sauce, Repeat ending with the white sauce.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan and bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until golden brown.
View other recipes by