Apple Cake Made with Olive Oil
Makes 1 cake, serves 8 – 10 from Catherine's Roman Holiday
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 150ml olive oil
- 350g flour
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp bread soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 110g golden raisins or sultanas
- Pinch of salt
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 500g of cooking apples, peeled and diced, about 1 ½ cm
- Preheat the oven 180C/ Gas 4.
- Place the sultanas / raisins in a bowl of hot water and allow to soak for 15 minutes, to plump up.
- Whisk the sugar and eggs until doubled in volume and pale cream in colour. Warm the olive oil and slowly whisk in with the eggs and sugar.
- Sieve the flour, cinnamon, ginger, bread soda, salt and baking powder together. Then gradually add in to the oil and sugar mixture. Fold in well.
- Drain the raisins / sultanas from the water and add to the mixture along with the lemon zest and diced apples. Mix thoroughly. The mixture should be stiff at this stage.
- Butter and flour a 20cm spring form cake tin and spoon in the mixture. Bake for at least 1 hour, until a skewer placed in the middle comes out dry. Carefully remove the cake from the tin and allow to cool on a wire rack.
View other recipes by